Thursday, January 11, 2007

Google SketchUp


Most of my work revolves around Autodesk drafting products and automating these tools for our clients. While that is fun and exciting it is always neat to see Google step into different industries. Last year they started up with Google Docs & Spreadsheets and now they are going into 3D design. SketchUp 6 is now out and it is cool! All sorts of fun things to do that can be exported to Google Earth, or even imported from AutoCAD. There is even a 3D warehouse where you can download different models to play with.

To make it even more cool, since SketchUp 4, there is an API. While most of the work I do is in the Windows world and uses .NET for work, I have always been quite interested in Ruby. SketchUp's API is all in Ruby! How cool is that?

Now I just need to think of some cool little add in that will connect SketchUp to the AutoCAD world so I can learn more about Ruby!

No comments: