Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Top 5 most anticipated movies of 2007


Movies. Movies. Movies. Every year there is an unending stream of new films coming out, and each year this stream gets deeper and deeper. This year, is the year of trilogies! I think there is around 5 or 6 "part 3" movies, maybe more. Luckily only one made my list. Here we go:

5. Grindhouse
Robert Rodriguez constantly gets me excited about his films. They are usually high in style and knowing that he does everything on a digital platform satisfies the geek in me. Even more, I am constantly amazed with how he jumps from an ultra grown up movie like Sin City, to a kid or family movie like Spy Kids. Grindhouse looks to be an interesting experiment in putting two films together (one by Rodriguez and the other by Tarantino). The trailers just ooze style and action. Probably not one I'll take the family to, but still quite exciting.

4. Knocked Up
Knocked Up is the one film I fought with putting on the list. While it looks interesting and quite funny, it isn't the normal geek movie that I'd be excited about. Still, knowing how funny 40 year old virgin was, I am quite excited about seeing this movie.

3. Transformers
What boy raised in the 80's isn't excited about Transformers? Heck, even my 9 year old sun raised in the 2000s is excited about this one. One phrase describes it all: Robots waging war on earth. Lots of special effects goodness... :)

2. The Bourne Ultimatum
After reading The Bourne Identity and seeing the first of this series, I was hooked. While the movie didn't quite follow the story exactly, it was close enough to be exciting. The second in the series gave me a little motion sickness from all the handheld camera shots, but it was still a good film and I am excited to see the next in the series.

1. 300
Sin City was one of my favorite movies of 2005 and knowing that 300 is based on another comic written by Frank Miller just makes the geek in me very happy. Make it using the comic's cells as a story board and it just pumps out even more of that style I seem to like. While I haven't read the graphic novel, I am very hopeful that the film's content equals this style.

Well, there you have it, the top 5 movies for 2007. I just hope I can make it to see some of these. There are a few movies from 2006 that I still need to see!

No comments: